Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Story


I was blessed with two wonderfully talented grandmothers that could sew and quilt just about anything.
So it was only natural that I would take sewing in high school...
wow how much fun to actually create something out of a piece of fabric.
In 2010 my daughter (22 at the time) was involved in an accident on a golf cart.
 ( I chose not to blog about it at the time because of other people being involved)
 The cart flipped over and she received a broken ankle, along with injuries to her hands, arm and chest.
 When we left the hospital there was no question about it, she was going to move back home and I was going to take care of her. (It was like having a new born).  She required two surgeries to her right ankle and could not drive.  She was so upset, how would she make it to her summer college course.  There was no way I would let her fall behind, she had worked so hard to stay on track to graduate. I drove her everyday of the 2010 summer,  60 miles to her class. (What a bonding summer).  She required one more surgery in 2011, but has fully recovered.
 She has now graduated and I am so proud to say, she is a
 third grade teacher at a local school.


While waiting for her at school I would surf the net.
WOW was I  inspired by all the sewing projects.
I realized just how much I missed sewing. I could use this time while not working and staying home with her to pull out that machine and sew. 
The passion to create was rekindled!
 I even took on quilting!
See my first two quilts here.
With much prompting from family and friends,
I am excited to offer a few of my items to my blog readers. 



 Take a look around my shop  here.  
 Let me know what you think...Share what items you would like to see.   Susie has already added camera straps to my list.


19 comments:

Windy said...

I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I am so excited to start learning to sew. Your bags are too cute! I'm a little intimidated by the monogramming part of my machine,(want to get the basics first) but cannot wait to put a monogram on everything!ge

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Melissa~ You do a beautiful job. How awful about your daughter but it looks like it was a wonderful time for you and your daughter to make a life-long bond that is deeper than some mothers and daughters ever experience. I love sewing, too! You do such a nice job on your pieces. xo Diana

Leslie said...

Such cute bags! Love them!

~The Robin's Nest~ said...

You do beautiful work!
You are also a great mom~♥
Congrats on your new adventure!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Melissa, what cute designs! You are so talented!! What an awesome mom you are!!

Nicole said...

Glad to hear she is doing so well! She was injured around the same time my husband had his accident. I remember emailing with you about that. Your stuff is great! I'm gonna look at your shop!

Sue said...

Missy, Your little endeavor is just wonderful! Susie's right- a camera strap would be a nice addition to your shop. :-) Weren't you the sweet sister to give her presents?

Cotton Peony said...

Funny how our children are soo much alike. Our youngest took an extra year at college to 'teach' AP bio at a local school near Boone.. that took him from general studies to advanced honor students and was hired right away at a local high school near home!

So congrats on your daughters new adventures and yours too as I see you've reached out an shown the world your talent!

warm hugs
Cotton Peony

Wendy said...

Congratulations to your daughter! Third grade is a fun age!
I love reading about your sewing projects and you are very talented! Have fun sewing!!
Wendy

La Vie En Rose said...

How very cute! I would like to see some stylish sachet holders - or fabric pouches that can hold a little lavender or scented rocks or something. It would be fabulous in the pink and brown print and so chic in an organized (or not!) closet! :)

Twice as Nice said...

Good Luck with your business. Your bags are beautiful. Love the detail. So glad to hear your daughter is doing well. You must be so proud.

Terry said...

Your bags are adorable!

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

I just set up my Babylock. Time for some embroidery and this has motivated me to get busy. Love your blog.
Teresa
xoxo

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

Congrats -- on the new shop..loving the items I see. And congrats to your daughter! Wishing you much success with the sewing/shop.

Miriam said...

Wow, beautiful bags! Am adding another blog to my favorites....came over to visit from your sisters blog:)

Chrissy said...

Your work is beautiful!!! Best wishes with your new shop!!!

Chris said...

Hi Melissa, what beautiful work and thank God your daughter is now well and living her life to the fullest. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

Betsy said...

What a neat story! There's nothing like a mother's love, is there? Your daughter is a lucky girl to have you! :)

waiting said...

The world is so small. I read Kelly's Korner blog, and every now and then I check in on Susie Harris. I am friend's with Brittany on FB, and she posted those eggs the other day. So, today I go to Susie Harris and see the eggs. Can't believe it. Then I come to your blog and find out you are Brittany's mom! Brittany has babysat my 2 boys for me, and she is such a beautiful girl inside and out! She student taught at my son's school last semester, and he loved seeing Miss Brittany at school! I am so glad she is loving her new school:) She is so great! Love her!