Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How To Preserve A Husband

I was not really excited at the age of 18 to win a cookbook at an office Christmas party...fast forward 26 years.



   This morning while looking for a new recipe to try, I pulled out that cookbook. 


In the Food a' la Louisiane Cookbook, I came across this little recipe on How To Preserve A Husband.  Though I would share...


How To Preserve A Husband

First, use care and get one not too young, but tender and a healthy growth.  Make your selection carefully and let it be final, otherwise they will not keep.   Do not pickle or put in hot water, this makes them sour.  Like wine they sweeten with age.
Prepare as follows: Sweeten with smiles according to variety. The sour bitter kind are improved by a pinch of common sense.  Spice with patience. Wrap will in a mantle of charity. Preserve over a good fire of steady devotion. Serve with peaches and cream.
Note:  The poorest varieties maybe improved by this process and keep for years in any climate.



I am sure all those years ago, I laughed when I read this and said, "Yeah Right". 

Recent trip to New Orleans

 With our 25th wedding anniversary in March,
I read it and say "Gosh, He preserves really well (like fine wine)
and can you believe I still have this cookbook."  LOL


 Which beloved cookbook do you have that has fed your family wonderful meals... but has a few tattered pages,
showing its age and devotion? 
Pull it out today...you just don't know what great memories you may find in those pages.





'Foods a' la Louisiane' written by 
 Lousiana Farm Bureau Women
P.O. Box 15361
Baton Rouge, LA 70895

6 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Awwww, Melissa, this was a great post! I'll have to copy this to my files, to share with my girlfriends!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet post & a great picture of the two of you! Congrat's on 25 years!

Mrs. H said...

This is so sweet! John and I will be celebrating our 2nd Anniversary in April :)
I think that I will print this little recipe off.
Congratulations on yall's Anniversary!
P.S. I work for Farm Bureau and those are pretty good cookbooks :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, I have that same cookbook!!! My Maw-maw gave me my copy when I was 18. I love it and use it often!!! You made me smile tonight. Congrats on 25 years!!!! April

Unknown said...

WOW I have that cookbook!!!! One of my favs tho is River Roads...the original one...OH and I have one from Ralph and Kacoo's that is awesome

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

I have a cookbook that I got for my 10th birthday. It's full of handwritten recipes from my grandma and mom- and 39 years of mine!
I wouldn't part with the raggedy thing for a million bucks.
Congrats on your upcoming 25th anniversary! We just had our 26th. Time flies. ;)
Love the photo of you two.